Name: Charlie Martin
Date of Birth: 24/08/1981
Place of Birth: Leicester, UK
Interests: Trail running, surfing & snowboarding, graphic design, vlogging, speaking French, travelling
Web site: www.gocharlie.co.uk
Biography: Charlie started racing in 2005, competing at hillclimbs with a Peugeot 205 she rebuilt herself after finishing her degree in graphic design. In 2012 she took a year out from motorsport to begin transition (she identifies as transgender) before returning in 2013 with a new car. In 2014, she entered her first overseas hillclimb at St-Gouëno in France, winning her class by 3 secs and setting a new class record in the process.
Inspired by this success, she went to France single handedly and contested 3 seasons in the Championnat de France de la Montagne & FIA European Hillclimb Championship. Driving a Formula Renault & Norma M20 FC prototype on closed public roads at speeds approaching 240km/h, she demonstrated bravery & huge skill, scoring multiple podiums at international level.
In 2017 she finished 3rd in her first ever endurance race at Le Mans (Bugatti Circuit), before moving fully to circuit racing in 2018. Having achieved 3 class podiums in the first 3 rounds of the Ginetta GT5 Challenge, Charlie is well on the way to achieving her dream of becoming the first transgender driver to compete at the Le Mans 24 Hours.
• 2014 - Broke class record (2 secs) & won by 3 secs - St-Gouëno, Championnat de France de la Montagne (CFM)
• 2015 - 2nd in class at Hébécrévon (CFM) - first ever hillclimb in Formula Renault
• 2016 - 3rd in class at Swiss round FIA European Hillclimb Championship (St-Ursanne Les Rangiers), first ever time in a prototype with no testing – fastest hillclimb in Europe. 3rd in class at German round FIA European Hillclimb Championship (Glasbach Rennen), 3rd in class Gurnigel
• 2017 - 3rd place in first ever 3hr endurance race at Le Mans (Bugatti Circuit) in Norma M20 FC, in Trophée Tourisme Endurance. 4 x podiums in CFM, including fastest lady at French round FIA European Hillclimb Championship
• 2018 - 3 x Am class podiums from first 3 rounds in Ginetta GT5 Challenge (1st full year of circuit racing)
I got into racing via one of my friends (Hamish) at primary school around 8yrs old, his dad Greg Bibby raced a Morgan Aero 3 wheeler. We used to go to sprints, hillclimbs & circuits and this really inspired me, Hamish started racing when he was 19, so the year I finished my degree in graphic design I saved up to buy a Peugeot 205 and started hillclimbing in the UK. It was always my dream to compete in Europe on closed roads, and latterly to get into endurance racing which I’m now focusing on after leaving hillclimb last year - I still want to compete at Pikes Peak one day!